Owners.com Unveils Top Markets for Home Sellers in 2018
To uncover the top seller markets, Owners.com analyzed a variety of factors within the qualifying MSAs, including the difference between the listing and sale price, percentage of listed properties sold, average number of days on market, average listed inventory and average change in rent.
Median home sales prices in the top 10 markets were significantly higher than the national average. More specifically:
- In the top 10 seller markets, the average median sales price of
$469,790was over $235,000above the national median sales price,
- Median sales prices in the top 10 seller markets increased 10 percent year-over-year (
$469,790in 2018 versus $426,610in 2017),
- On average, homes sold for
$4,997above their listing price in the top 10 seller markets, whereas nationwide, homes sold for $11,650below the listing price, and
- In the top 10 seller markets, the average percentage of listed properties that are sold in a month was 79 percent. This suggests a high demand from buyers relative to the supply in these MSAs, indicating a “sellers” market.
“It’s not surprising that
Top 10 Markets for Home Sellers
|MSA||Median Sales Price for Single-Family Homes||Average Difference between Sale and Listing Price (Percent Difference)||Average Number of Days Listing Is on Market||Average Active Inventory||Average Change in Rent (from Previous Year)||Percentage of Listed Properties Sold|
|1||San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward, CA||$940,000||+$12,065
|2||San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA||$1,290,000||+$10,745
|3||Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX||$272,500||+$6,691
|4||Salt Lake City, UT||$325,400||+$9,189
|6||Kansas City, MO-KS||$213,800||+$3,656
|8||San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX||$217,100||+$16,517
|10||Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX||$226,900||+6,896
Owners.com identified all MSAs with over one million people and retrieved data from
- Average price difference between sold and listing prices: 20 percent
- Average percent difference between sold and listing prices: 20 percent
- Percent of listed properties sold: 20 percent
- Average days on market: 20 percent
- Average listed inventory: 10 percent
- Monthly rental cost change from previous year: 10 percent
Owners.com is a technology driven brokerage at the forefront of the real estate revolution. With local real estate expertise, financing, closing services and unique digital experiences, Owners.com and its affiliates offer a complete real estate solution that strives to anticipate and fulfill the dreams of consumers. For more information or to contact a local Owners.com real estate agent, visit Owners.com or follow us on Facebook or LinkedIn.
Michelle D. Esterman
Chief Financial Officer
Source: Altisource Portfolio Solutions S.A.